Translate

Who's In Charge Here Anyway? 12

Who's In Charge Here Anyway? 

I have two dialogs when I talk to myself......."I hear you, I am listening" or "I hear you." In my quest to be a more enlightened being, I am becoming more aware of the many different facets of my personality and how important it is to communicate with them. It helped to give them a name and a voice.

Dennis the Menace meet George Costanza's mother. They both live in my head and take turns running my life. There are many more characters but these are the two I seem to have the most trouble with, and I thought it was about time they met.

Dennis the Menace is my inner brat. When I don't keep my mind occupied, I take the chance that Dennis will find something for me to get into, and I don't mean in a productive way. It's important for me to avoid this at all costs. Dennis has caused me so many shit-storms that I shudder anytime he tries to come out and play. We all have one and they vary in degree of annoyance. Some people have a mild inner brat, ala Kim Kardashian and Snookie, while others have a more destructive inner brat, hello Lindsay Lohan and Naomi Campbell. No mistaking when their inner brat is in control.

Just like the inner brat, everyone has an inner kvetcher. Mine is Estelle Costanza, George's mother. Not to be outdone or ignored, Mrs. Costanza is always there to remind me of my shortcomings or to tell me I can't, or if I already did, I shouldn't have. She is a compilation of The Queen of Guilt (the typical Jewish Mother) and Debbie Downer ("I've got Diverticulitis"). Just when I feel it's safe to go into the water there she is shouting "Don't go into the water, you'll drown!" A famous example of the inner kvetcher in action is Ralphie's experience with his IK. (For those of you who don't know, Ralphie is a character in a classic movie titled "A Christmas Story.") Ralphie has a burning-desire-bordering-on-obsession to get an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two Hundred Shot Range Model Air Rifle for Christmas. In his mind, everyone including Santa tells Ralphie, "you'll shoot your eye out" every time he mentions his desire to own the beloved rifle. That was Ralphie's Mrs. Costanza. He allowed his inner kvetcher to occupy his every thought to the point of distraction and a little hallucination.

Trying to tame your thoughts is like trying to herd cats, but with practice and decisiveness, you can minimize the unwanted thoughts that come mostly from Mrs. C. Practice taming your negative inner voice by acknowledging the thought then release it to the universe. "I hear you."  Mrs. C's comment "Don't go into the water, you'll drown" is met with "Okay Mrs. C, I hear you." Notice I did not say, "I am listening." 

Unwanted thoughts do not get a platform. Acknowledge, move on. Then occupy your thoughts with something productive before Dennis comes calling.

Mrs. Costanza, meet Dennis the Menace. I would like for you to work together in helping us become a more integrated and wise beings. Instead of competition, I want cooperation. Stop shouting, everyone will get their chance to speak, but I will decide when. So just wait your turn I promise I will get to you.
These are just two of the many facets that make me ME. Stay tuned for more on the cast of characters in my head in upcoming posts. They all want to be in this one but I am taking control.  And put your hand down Arnold Horshak.

Try tuning into your inner self and see who you find. Feel free to share.

A few personal notes.....thank you B-Dubb, Dr. Wayne Dyer, and shout out to Brad Bruestle....... for Debbie Downer's dialog at the office.  How is your diverticulitis?