Translate

Meet More Characters Running My Life 14

Meet More Characters Running My Life

I have named my "inner-selves". I named them after mostly make-believe characters who share their qualities. Doing this has helped me open the lines of communication with those facets of my personality, and identify which impressions I allow to become thoughts. For example, impressions coming from Dennis the Menace are met with a high degree of skepticism, as I know this is my inner brat looking for something to get into, and not in a good way. Same with Mrs. Costanza, my inner kvetcher. I know there is guilt and regret ahead so I prepare myself for it.  You can check out my April 14th post for more insight into these two characters. Today I have two more for you.

Say hello to Tony Soprano and Arnold Horshack.

Arnold is an attention hog, he loves acting and dreams that someday he will "arrive". Arnold is my inner performer. I've been a ham since my 6th-grade teacher, Mrs. King, asked me to lead our class at the graduation ceremony. No, not in song, BAHAHAHAHA, I couldn't hold a tune if you superglued it to me. No folks, I was the conductor, with a baton. Stood up in front of the whole Linthicum Heights Elementary School and conducted my little heart out. I'll always remember looking out over the sea of faces, my school chums, all watching ME intently. Very cool. And the clapping. Oh, the clapping. I can still hear it. That was the day Arnold was born. Now, every time Arnold thinks he may have an audience we flip into "entertain" mode. Sometimes it's a good thing, like now while I am writing. Most times not-so-much, because Wal-Mart is not Nutt Street Comedy Club (in Wilmington, NC). It's most disruptive when Arnold wants to do a stand-up schtick for Amy the cashier who's checking us out at Wal-Mart. I know she looks like she could use some cheering up but not now, ok? In any case, Arnold is an acquired taste and needs to be under tight control. Someday I would like to do stand-up to give Arnold his stage, but I have to convince the "others" to go along, Scarlet O'Hara is resisting a bit, but we are working on it. Hey, Nutt Street start me a tab, willya?

Tony Soprano is my inner tough guy. He's the one you will run into if you piss me off. Tony fancies himself a protector of sorts unfortunately, his style is not always appropriate for the situation. Let's just say he's a little heavy-handed at times. He tends to be sensitive to any perceived "slight" and is always ready to defend our honor. Cut us off in traffic......... Tony will look over at you, and through gritted teeth mutter "How ya doin" while he's thinking about how he will remove your entrails if you do that again. Tony and I count to ten frequently. Real frequently. I had a very quick temper and sharp tongue until I heard this quote long ago, "We are all just squirrels trying to get a nut", and realized we are all the same. Everybody is in the same boat, although I admit some have bigger boats. Still, that doesn't mean they don't struggle with the same issues as you and me. Live and let live is what I say now. Don't take every little slight personally. Chances are the other person doesn't even realize they did anything to slight you, they're just nut-hunting.

Good, happy, and productive thoughts get a ringside seat at my live show called Life, while negative or destructive thoughts are promptly shown the back door. It's my decision who goes where. Sometimes I don't want input from anybody. The trick is learning how to "Shut It Down" like Gordon Ramsay. For me it's akin to the Facebook chat function, off-line means I am not entertaining new thoughts right now, on-line I am receptive to receive new positive impressions. This is hard to do, as your inner selves do not like being controlled. When I am in conflict with myself, having difficulty managing my inner family, I go outside take a deep breath and walk. Getting back to nature, being one with Universe, helps me to put things in perspective and decide what I want to think.

After all, I am the boss of me. Namaste.