Translate

Writer's Block-Head

Writer's Block-Head

Crap, I think I have writer's block and I have a story due to my editor. Nothing is coming. Not a fucking thought I can use to create this masterpiece of a magazine interview. That's right, interview, so most of the writing is already done for me. All I have to do is take it from recorder to keyboard. Nope. Oh, I've done all kinds of creative stuff today, even made a video about my daughter's tongue hanging out all the time. But every time I come back to try to do this article I blank out. Crickets. No, not even crickets, they abandoned me long ago.

Have I lost my writing Mojo? I hope not, it's one thing I really enjoy doing in this world of things we do every day. When I am writing I am writing, nothing else. I am as Eckhart Tolle would say "present in this moment" aware of nothing but taking the words that enter my brain and putting them on paper. Channeling some other consciousness? I don't know, I just know that I am having a shit-storm of a time writing up this article.

OK, well there is more to this than I have told you so far. The person I am writing about is an idol. Not an American Idol, a real writing idol of mine. In fact, her writing influenced me to become a writer. If she can do it, I can too, or so I thought, until today when this article is due and I haven't started it.

Self-doubt is sitting on my right shoulder whispering in my ear. I've had a lot of trouble with self-doubt lately, trying to hold me back from moving forward in life. Well, I spate him once this week, I am just going to have to find it within me to spate him again. A double spate.

After all, I can't back out now. She KNOWS this is coming, we hung out for over an hour chatting about life and comedy and writing. It's the cover story for the January issue. Yikes. That's not helping.

So I think I will try something my idol told me she does when she needs to be inspired. Go read a book by someone you admire. Thanks, Celia, I am going to do just that. I'll let you know how it goes.