Translate

Voices Carry

Voices Carry

Have you ever really thought about how you come to a decision? How many times do you end up with decision regret, buyer's remorse, whatever? Most of the time I am not really aware of the process, it just happens, but I decided to pay attention to the voices in my head while I was processing a recent decision. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Where did this idea come from?
Him: I don't know it just happened.
Me: What were you doing when it happened?
Him: I don't remember, it just started taking over my brain and before I knew it I had to find a solution to the problem.
Me: But it isn't a problem, it's just an idea.
Him: I know, but I have to solve it.
Me: No you don't. You are making a problem where there is just an idea.
Him: But how can I solve it if I don't fix it.
Me: It doesn't need fixing, it isn't broken, it isn't even born yet. It's just an idea and you have already decided it will fail before you have even given it a chance to be.
Him: No, I solved it. It won't work.
Me: You can't say that, we haven't invented it yet.
Him: But there no need it won't work. I already solved it.
Me: OK then walk me through how you solved it.
Him: I don't know, I just know it won't work. You aren't that smart. How could you invent something that no one else has thought of? If it were a good idea, it would already have been invented.

And there you have it. I wonder how many times we stop at this point, cut the bud from the flower. How many great ideas never get migrated because of our internal dialog?

I am not ending this. I am going to move forward with my idea even though my internal dialog is not on board,

In fact, here it is. Well, what I have of it so far. It isn't completely worked out because I am only working with a part of my resources. The other part refuses to cooperate, as you have seen. Oh, he'll get on board when he gets some encouragement, so I need to spread the word. Help me won't you, I need to prove him wrong.

And here's something interesting, I didn't realize until I wrote this that my "inner person" is a guy. Go figure.